Now that I have my new peeler, I decided to delve into making canned spiced apples because my family loves the spiced fried apples I make so much. It was so super easy that I can't wait to get another box of apples and start again. Here's how to do it:
- Bring water/sugar mixture to a simmer in a small pot and stir until the sugar is dissolved. I used 2 quarts of water and 3 cups of sugar. You can do more or less depending on your desired syrup thickness and sweetness.
- Peel, core, and slice your apples- I used the Victorio peeler I mentioned above to peel the apples and then used an apple corer/wedger to core and slice them.
- Place the apple wedges in clean canning jars (I used pints). Add 1/8 tsp Nutmeg, 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon (or more or less to your taste) to the jars.
- Fill jars with sugar/water mixture, leaving 1/2" head space. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims, and place lid and ring on.
- Boiling water bath for 20 minutes (for pints).