Friday, September 28, 2012

Victorio VKP1010 Apple/Potato Peeler, Slicer, and Corer


I have to confess.....I'm a lover of kitchen gadgets!  I am not one of those people who buy gadgets just because they're cool, I buy them if I really believe the product will make my life easier and is affordable (a cost-benefit analysis, if you will).  I recently bought this Victorio VKP1010 apple peeler from Amazon because I've heard of a bunch of people talking about them and the reviews are great.  For $20, I decided it was worth a try.  Boy was I happy I did....this is easily one of the best things I've purchased for my kitchen.
This was so super easy to set up and to use.  If you read the directions first (and I notice most who fussed about the product obviously didn't do this step) there is only a couple of minutes worth of setup and familiarization with the device.  I was peeling apples in less than 5 minutes after opening the box.  I peeled an apple start to finish in under 6 seconds and did it without a single jam or problem.  I couldn't believe how easy it was and how much less apple waste it created than when I peeled them by hand with a paring knife.  I didn't use the corer or slicer part of the machine yet because I plan on coring and cutting the apples into wedges with my other favorite product....the apple wedger from Pampered Chef (although others bought from Walmart work fine too).
My son thought the contraption looked stupid, my daughter thought it looked old-timey and hubby just thought I was weird for getting this and that it couldn't possibly work or be worth $20.  Well I don't care if it looks dumb or old-timey, but hubby's getting a challenge this weekend.  I told him he's peeling 15 apples by hand and then can use this weird contraption for the next 15 and let him make up his own mind.  
At this point, I'm just mad at myself for not knowing about this thing last year when I was canning applesauce, apple butter, and apple slices!!  What about you....do you have any kitchen gadgets that you can't live without?  Please share!



22 comments:

Kristen@CountryFitFamily said...

This sounds cool. I agree with how much waste there is by peeling apples by hand. I can't use a knife to peel potatoes since I lose half the potato. (I'm really bad at it). I use a carrot peeler on potatoes and it works pretty well.

Unknown said...

I used to use a peeler too, but I kept shooting the apple or potato half way across the room and got my own knuckles a few times too!! :)

Unknown said...

I love the apple wedger from Pampered Chef, but the corer is so expensive. This is great!

Zapric De Nom said...

It does look a bit old timish but I don't care if it does a good job. I like it.

Ashley B. said...

I was thinking about buying an apple peeler, and I think you just sold me on one! Great review, thank you so much for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

I need to get one of these. My mother had one growing up and it made cooking some recipes sooo much easier!

Shauna said...

My Hubby would LOVE this - he is so picky about his apples!!! ha,ha, ha

Margaux said...

I think about getting something like this every year when we're making pies and apple sauce or apple butter. I might splurge this year after hearing your positive review :)

Tom Shewbridge said...

This is so awesome, I love things like this! And its red! You can't go wrong with red! have red in our kitchen now. Thanks!

HappyMrsBass said...

I would totally use this! I love the old-timey look and hey, if it does the job... great! I'm gonna have to look at one of these for myself! :)

HappyMrsBass said...

Sounds great! I love the old-timey look personally. And if it works...great! I think I am going to have to look into one of these for myself! :)

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

I have always wanted one of these and never gotten one yet. The kitchen gadget that I can't live without is my Keurig. Love me some coffee!

Dawn
www.cheapisthenewclassy.com

MotherhoodLooms said...

Right now I really want to make applesauce for my daughter... so that's an awesome gadget I'd love to have!

Jessica said...

I don't always have great dexterity in my hands due to some medical problems, so this sounds like it would be well worth the $20 for me!

Brittney Minor said...

Such an awesome looking contraption! I love how it is bright red too! I would love to try one!

Good Girl Gone Green said...

oh, I love this tool. I need to get one!

Good Girl Gone Green said...

Oh, I love this tool. I need to get one!

Marie, shiny pearl said...

oh that's a heavy-duty all-in-one! I have an apple slicer but I've used good 'ol peelers..this is too cool!

Anonymous said...

I love how it looks....very country home :)

annies home said...

peelers like this make it so much easier to make that perfect apple pie because my hands dont hurt as much as they would after all that peeling

Romina said...

Okay, I probably won't use this much but being the gadget fanatic that I am, I would say I'd need it. My husband would say otherwise, of course.

Simply Being Mommy said...

Neat. I need one of these.