Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weight Loss: When you only have a little to lose


So, I am embarking on a journey to lose 10 pounds.  I am not "overweight", but I do have about 10 extra pounds I am having a hard time losing.  I'm finding the further I get into the 30's, the harder it is to lose anything.  I avoid fast food, make our family meals most every night and eat left overs for lunch.  I eat oatmeal for breakfast and I stay away from candy bars, cookies, etc.  Yet, those pesky pounds just won't come off.  I tried running a mile each day, drinking more water, and did some minor weight training at home.......NOTHING.  I have been very frustrated to say the least.
 

I don't have the time, money, nor inclination to join a gym and spend an hour there each day.  I have a hubby and kids who would boycott if I tried to put all of us on a strict diet.  I don't eat bad, I'm not a lazy bum, and I still can't seem to get the right combination to make the weight go away.  What's a girl to do?

Well, I'm on a journey to find out.  I know all the diet cliche's: don't starve yourself, it takes willpower, treat yourself, etc.  So far, I've started making little changes:

  • Drink even more water, get rid of the diet sodas :(
  • Watch the snacking.  I need to lose the mid-morning and mid-day snack of peanut butter crackers....those cost you 190 calories and 9 grams of fat each.
  • Don't get rid of dessert, just cut down the portion....1/2 c of low fat ice cream and 1/2 of a homemade cookie is better than a whole bowl of ice cream or 3 cookies, right?
  • Refuse to give into boredom eating.  Ah....that's my biggest problem.  Just because the fruit snacks are 80 calories and fat free doesn't mean you need to eat 3 of them just to have something to chew on.  Drink water when you get the urge or chew sugar free gum.
  • Smaller portions at dinner time.  That's something I've learned years ago when I lost weight doing a modified, self-starting WW plan......but keep an eye on it because the portion sizes do creep back up.
  • Stop adding extras.  Do I really need that much dressing?  Do I need that extra roll or that much butter?  Save money and skip the appetizer on date night....save room for some frozen yogurt and fruit instead.
  • Exercise a little at a time.  If I don't have the inclination or time to run or do an activity that really gets my heart rate up, at least do some squats at work or while brushing my teeth.  Get some leg lifts in at the stove.
I've been searching Pinterest and AllRecipes.com for healthy options to my fave foods and I've added a bunch to my recipe box.  I love to find economical ways to do things, and losing weight isn't any different.  Have you ever had this problem of needing to lose just a little but being unable to?  What are some of your suggestions?

10 comments:

jenzen69 said...

I have the very same problem and it started mid 30's I don't hardly eat and I am active and I cant lose a thing. The only thing I dont do on your list is the water drinking

Tammylyne said...

I stop eating after 6 when I am on a diet :) also water gets boring so I like to throw a little crystal lite or zero calorie flavoring in my water. No fat popcorn is my favorite snack. It fills me up

"Iowa Mom" said...

This is great! Most of the time I read tips on big weight loss but what if you only have 5-10 pounds to go till goal? Seriously what a wonderful set of tips!

Unknown said...

Really, the best thing you can do is buy an aerobics tape or some gym equipment for your home. While it may seem time consuming it is the best way to get rid of wait. Also, walking does wonders!

Mom Caboodle said...

Sounds like great little changes to complete your goal! Good Luck!

Tom Shewbridge said...

I need to lose a little more than you, but I love all the tips, I am a big water promoter!

Young At Heart Mommy said...

These are great tips. I was in the same boat a few months ago. I just wanted to lose 10 pounds and had a hard time doing so. I stopped snacking, cut my carbs, and switched to water after cutting out juices and sodas. I think it's really all about your diet. I noticed for me, the pounds came off quickly when I started eating more vegetables.

Anonymous said...

I almost wish I had that issue and yet I dont ...I have always had the problem of too many pounds to lose. I do have to say if you are drinking diet soda or any type of artifically sweetend drink I have read they can make you retain some extra weight...so if you cut those out completely you should see some results - I hope. If you want something different for the taste try adding some fruit to your water. Melon - citrus - apples - lemon or lime - kiwifruit mango strawberries...just a couple pieces thrown into a pitcher and let sit over night in the refridgerator helps the water get a bit of taste

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH for all the great tips.....hopefully we can find some good techniques, recipes and exercises together and help each other out.

Natasha....thanks a ton for the ideas of the fruit in the water....I never thought about doing that.

Malia said...

I'm on my second month of the Insanity Workout Program. I've lost 8 pounds so far. Like you, I didn't have a lot to lose, just 10-15 pounds, but it's hard to lose this extra weight! Here's my post on my weight loss journey if you want to check it out.
http://livinthemommylife.com/2012/08/getting-healthy-1-month-of-insanity-workouts-1-more-to-go.html