Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tasty Thursday 9/27/12

As an update on last week's post, the venison tenderloin wrapped in bacon.....I made them Sunday night and everyone loved them.  They also reheat incredibly well.  I did make a few adjustments though...

* I marinated in apple juice with a couple packets of spiced cider drink mix included because I couldn't find apple cider at my store.
* I cut each strip of bacon in half and then wrapped.
* I skewered the chunks (5-6 to a skewer) and grilled that way....it was much easier to control and I didn't have to use a ton of toothpicks.
* I only used 1 bottle of bbq sauce because 2 seemed like it was going to be too much.

Here's the final outcome!!



This is my next new recipe to make......

Crock-Pot Baked Apples  
Recipe and photo courtesy of http://skinnychef.com

Baked ApplesIngredients
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 Gala or Macintosh apples, cored
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider

Directions
Preheat a large crock-pot on high heat and preset it for 3 hours. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, walnuts, margarine, and cinnamon. Fill the apples with the filling and place them in the crock-pot. Pour in the apple juice or cider. Cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high heat until the apples are soft and begin to collapse.

Get the original recipe here: http://skinnychef.com/recipes/baked-apples
 

13 comments:

Mamal Diane said...

Your recipes sound delicious. I host a Tuesday Linky party called The Gathering Spot and would love to see you there :)Have a great day! http://mamaldiane.com/the-gathering-spot-22/

Annie @ MontanaSolarCreations said...

I love the venison bacon wrap recipe! We've always made them just by wrapping bacon around the meat and grilling but haven't added the sauce- I will be trying that one this week!
annie @ montanasolarcreations

Pam said...

Baked Apples! I have not had them in a long time. My mom always made the best! Can't wait to see the end results.

The venison looks great also, although I have never been a lover of venison.

Sofia said...

That looks soooooo good!! I'm hungry! I'll have to try that recipe with either chicken or pork (which is closer in flavor to venison?)

Sofia
From PDX with Love

Barb said...

The crockpot apples sound yummy, and easy. They would make a good after school snack, too.

Unknown said...

The apples sound great and very easy! We just got a ton of apples, now I have something to do with them! :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm sounds super yummy! I will add this to my must try file :)

Michelle Bowman said...

Anything with bacon gives me a big HAPPY! :) LOVE this recipe! I must try this after my husband goes Hunting next season!

Unknown said...

Baking an apple pie has long been on my to do list but I always get so intimidated by it, this looks super easy and even better! Thanks a bunch!

vickie marks allbright said...

love this cant wait to try it

outsider said...

This looks delicious!

Danielle S said...

They look delicious!

Samantha said...

Crockpot + Apples = Heaven. Thanks for a great recipe.
Sam Marshall sjam916 at gmail dot com