Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kroger Family Brands - A Family Night & Review



As a BzzAgent, I was given the opportunity to have a family night and try out some Kroger brand products.  I have Kroger here in my area, so I headed to the store for these items:

Kroger Zero-Calorie Vitamin Enhanced Water - Pomegranate Cherry
Kroger Tortilla Cupz
Kroger The Truly Awesome Frozen Pizza - pepperoni
Kroger Frozen Fruit Bars - blueberry acai

We've been running on generator power for a week now (no air conditioning and record high temps...yay), so we were ready to finally use the stove and have some good family time in a less than 98 degree house!!  I made some homemade chili and also got some Kroger brand shredded cheese.  

We had pizza and tortilla cups to scoop up chili and cheese as our main meal and sat on the floor together to gather around the AC vent and eat our meal together.  The pizza wasn't a big hit with anyone except for my son who loves just about any food that isn't a vegetable.  The sauce seemed too strong, not spicy but too many herbs and salt.  I like a pizza sauce that has a little sweetness to it.  The crust was nice and crisp on the bottom while the edges were soft and chewy.  I wasn't a huge fan of the bottom crust, but once I got to the edge, I liked it more.  The pizza was greasier than other pepperoni pizzas, but a few dabs with a paper towel and all was fine.  I usually buy California Kitchen, Freschetta, or Tombstone pizza so that's what I was comparing the Kroger pizza to.  It was more on the level of a cheap Tombstone pizza and no where near as good as California Kitchen or Freschetta pizza.  The cost of the Truly Awesome pizza was $3.99




I've bought the tortilla cupz before and we all really like it.  You can't beat the taste, freshness and value at a low cost of around a dollar.  I constantly find these chips on sale 10/$10, so it's definitely worth buying.  None of us can tell the difference between the Kroger brand and other national brands.



The vitamin enhanced water really wasn't a hit with my husband or son.  My husband said he normally likes LifeWater's, which is akin to this Kroger brand vitamin water.  He said that the Kroger brand had a harsh after taste and he didn't care for it at all.



The Kroger brand fruit bars were a huge hit.  Both my husband and I really liked them and my son wanted to eat the whole box...he came back for seconds and thirds!  These will definitely be on our shopping list from now on.



 I've bought many Kroger brand items before and have been very happy with most all of them.  They offer a great value for quality products.  I love that Kroger also mails you coupons on their private label products so you can save on them too beyond their already low prices.

Have you tried any of the Kroger family brand products?  What are your favorites?

Disclosure: I'm a member of BzzAgent and received these products free for my review.  All opinions are honest and my own.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never tried any Kroger brands before. That looks like a fun night!

Unknown said...

I wish I had a Kroger near me.

Tina @ My Highest Self said...

We don't have a Kroger around our house anywhere so I won't be able to try any of these. Loved your review and the photos of your family though!

Anonymous said...

If a Kroger ever opens up near me I will be sure to give it a try...you review made me want to try them - but they are all so far away!

Unknown said...

I love Kroger! One of my favorite soda's is their Citrus Drop :)